Punta Gnifetti or Signalkuppe for the Swiss. It is located on the watershed between Piedmont and Switzerland. The first ascent took place in 1842, by Giovanni Gnifetti and his companions. Subsequently on the summit in 1889, the CAI built a refuge that would take the name of Margherita, queen of Italy. Who stayed there a few days before the inauguration. The summit is very popular with climbers, attracted by the panorama and the highest refuge in Europe.
- Day 1
Partenza da Gressoney in località Stafal; in funivia si raggiunge il colle d'Olen 2881 Mt. Da qui si sale il crinale che delimita le valli di Gressoney e Algna, si supera Punta indren3260 Mt. e in circa 2h 30" si arriva al rifugio Mantova 3498 Mt.che si trova ai piedi del ghiacciaio Garstelet. Cena e pernottamento al rifugio.
- Day 2
Wake up at 3:00 am breakfast and at 3:45 am departure. From the Mantua refuge, go up the glacier leaving the Gnifetti refuge on the left, continue on slopes that are not too steep up to the Lys hill 4248 Mt. from here you cross diagonally to the left. A steeper section leads to the Margherita Hut. 4/5 hours. The descent takes place on the same ascent route.
The price includes
- Assistance of the mountain guide, commonly used material.
- Insurance that covers the emergency intervention in the event of an accident.
The fee does not include
- tickets for the Stafal-Col D’Olen return railways + Guide
- Car transfers.
- Board and lodging for the participants and the guide and all that is not specified in the entry “The price includes”.
PERSONAL TECHNICAL MATERIAL
- Maximum ice ax 60 cm
- Classic crampons with anti-cocoon
- High mountain boots
- Telescopic ski pole
- Harness, ice ax, crampons, ski pole and helmet missing will be provided by the guide.
CLOTHING TO WEAR
- High mountain / glacier sunglasses
- Sun cream and cocoa butter
- High mountain gloves
- Breathable t-shirt
- Sweet life
- Windstopper or fleece jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Shoeller mountain pants
- Mountain socks
INSIDE THE BACKPACK
- A tights
- Ski mask
- Lightweight spare gloves
- A front lamp with new batteries
- Small personal pharmacy (compeed, aspirin, high protection sunscreen)
- Waterproof over trousers
- 1 liter bottle or Thermos
- Energy bars, dried fruit, chocolate, sandwich
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Paper towels
- Sun hat
- Fleece or goose down gillet
- Ear plugs (useful in shelter)