The first climbers on the east face of Monte Rosa chose this route in 1872. During one of these attempts Ferdinando Marinelli lost his life, since then this huge gully took its name. It is now rarely traveled uphill, it is certainly a prestigious descent for high level skiers and snowdoarders.
- Day 1
Departure from Gressoney in Stafal; by cable car you reach the Colle d'Olen 2881 Mt. From here you climb the ridge that delimits the valleys of Gressoney and Algna, you pass Punta indren3260 Mt. and in about 2h30 you arrive at the Mantova refuge 3498 Mt. which is located at the foot of the Garstelet glacier. Dinner and overnight at the refuge.
- Day 2
Alarm clock at 5.00 breakfast and at 5.45 departure. From the Mantova refuge, put on your skis and seal skins, go up the glacier leaving the Gnifetti refuge on the left, continue on slopes that are not too steep up to the Lys hill 4248 Mt. from here you cross diagonally to the left. A steeper section leads to Colle Gnifetti at 4454 m. 4/5 hours. The descent begins in the middle of the seracs, a long traverse leads to the gully which, with good snow, can be traversed to the bottom on the Belvedere glacier.
The price includes
- Assistance of the mountain guide, commonly used material.
- Insurance that covers the emergency intervention in the event of an accident.
The fee does not include
- Tickets for the Stafal-Col D’Olen + return cableway Guide
- Car transfers
- Board and lodging for the participants and the guide and all that is not specified in the entry The price includes.
PERSONAL TECHNICAL MATERIAL
- Maximum ice ax 60 cm
- Classic crampons with anti-cocoon
- Ski touring boots.
- Telescopic ski pole
Harness, ice ax, crampons, avalanche beacon, ski pole and helmet missing will be provided by the guide.
CLOTHING TO WEAR
- High mountain / glacier sunglasses
- Sun cream and cocoa butter
- High mountain gloves
- Breathable t-shirt
- Sweet life
- Windstopper or fleece jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Ski pants for high mountains
- Mountain socks
INSIDE THE BACKPACK
- The nose is getting thinner
- Ski mask
- Lightweight spare gloves
- Small personal pharmacy (compeed, aspirin, high protection sunscreen)
- 1 liter bottle or Thermos
- Energy bars, dried fruit, chocolate, sandwich ...
- Paper towels